Can you believe it? It’s that time of year again. The sound of sleigh bells are coming around the corner, it’s nearly time to pucker up for a kiss under the mistletoe and we’re all starting to get in a tangle trying to wrap those pretty ribbon bows around the presents! All of this can only mean one thing….party dress season has officially arrived!
Whether you’re planning on treating yourself to a shiny new outfit, or you’re dusting off your trusty favourite, there is only one secret you need to know to ensure your dress is looking its best…
Yes you read that correctly, it’s all about the underwear. Get the foundation right and everything else will fall into place. It really is that easy.
The only thing you need to know, is make sure your bra fits!
Not only will it drastically change the overall shape it’ll give you, but do you know what? It’s actually a lot more comfortable (perfect for getting a little Christmas boogie on!) and helps improve breast health.
Our top three tips to ensure you’re wearing a well fitted bra:
1. THE BAND
- The band should be fitted nice and snug running parallel to the bottom of the cups. If the band is riding up your back, or you can pull it a good couple of inches away from your body, then the band is too big, which means losing 80% of the support of the bra. Try going down a size or 2 and see how that fits. But remember, for every band size you go down, go up 1 size in the cup! (See our post about sister sizing)
2. THE CUPS
- The Cups! What you are looking for is that the centre gore of the bra sits flat against your body and the top edge of the cup is sitting smoothly over your breasts. To check that the wires are not pressing on the edge of your breast tissue (just under your arm) simply pop your arm out to the side, pull away the side of the cups and check that the wires are sitting behind the start of your breast tissue (you may need to use a mirror to help, you ask a trusted friend of partner).
- The most obvious sign that your cups are too small is that dreaded 4 boob look! (We’ve all been there haven’t we?) You’ll notice this if you find that your breasts spill out over the top, from the sides, or that the top edge of the bra is beginning to cut into the skin. Other signs to look out for include, the centre gore sitting away from your body, and the uncomfortable feeling of wires digging into you (no Christmas boogieing for you!)
- Alternatively, if the cups are too big, then you will notice quite a gap between the bra and your breast, or an excess of fabric. If, like most of us, you have 1 boob slightly bigger than the other, then we always recommend fitting to the fuller side to ensure the best support.
3. THE STRAPS
- The straps offer 10% each of the support in your bra, so check they are sitting correctly by popping your fingers in under the straps and lift them up off your shoulders. A well-adjusted strap should lift no more than about 2 inches. If you can stretch them up over your ears, you might want to tighten them a little.
We always recommend dropping in-store and getting professionally fitted by one of our trained fitters, but if you don’t happen to live nearby then we’ve always got our carefully crafted Bra Size Calculator on our website for you to try!
Stay tuned for part two next week, where we’ll be offering our tops tips on lingerie styles to best suit your outfits this year!